Tohoku University is inviting outstanding PhD candidates who have a strong desire to pursue studies or research in multidisciplinary, global, or academic/industry joint fields to apply for its Doctoral Fellowships for the academic year 2022-2023.
All Japanese and international students may apply for this doctorate scholarship through the University Advanced Graduate School. The scholarship is worth JPY 180,000 per month, and the chosen applicants will also get an extra JPY 340,000 yearly research grant. For consideration, the candidates must apply for a PhD study programme at the Advanced Graduate School in Tohoku.
The Tohoku University, often known as Tohokudai or Tonpei, is a national university of Japan with its headquarters in Sendai, Miyagi, in the Tohoku Region of Japan. It is renowned across the world for its excellent standards in both education and research. In the list of the best global universities, Tohoku University is placed 275.
- Heidelberg PhD Scholarships, Germany 2023
- TU Munich Scholarships, Germany 2022-2023
- Oxford University Clarendon Fully Funded Scholarships, UK 2023
- UOW Latest IPTA Scholarships, Australia 2023
- National Scholarship Program, Slovakia 2023
Why did you decide to attend Tohoku University?
Since its establishment in 1907 as Japan’s third National University, Tohoku University has always abided by its “Open Door” principle. “Research First” has being upheld at Tohoku University. Through active engagement in worldwide educational networks and by inviting eminent academics from all around the world, it has continually encouraged top-tier research.
More About Tohoku University
Japanese national university Tohoku University is situated in Sendai, Miyagi in the Thoku Region. Tonpei is the colloquial name for it. It was the third Imperial University to be founded in Japan and, together with Kyoto University and the University of Tokyo, was one of the original three Designated National Universities. Since 2020, Times Higher Education has ranked Tohoku Institution as the top university in Japan. Tohoku University is a Top Type university of the Top Global University Project.
With a total student body of 17,885 in 2016, Tohoku University had 10 faculties, 16 graduate schools, and 6 research centres. “Research First,” “Open Doors,” and “Practice-Oriented Research and Education” are the university’s three guiding principles.
According to the 2020 Times Higher Education Japan University Rankings, Tohoku University is rated #1.
The university moved up to number 70 in the 2011 QS World University Rankings after falling out of the top 100 to number 102 in 2010 after ranking 97 in the 2009 THE-QS World University Rankings.
Additionally, in 2009, the Global University Ranking placed it 49th overall. The general standards in the Engineering & Technology sector were assessed by Qs World University Rankings on 2012/9, and Tohoku University was ranked 56th (world), fifth (national).
Tohoku University gained first position among Japanese Universities for the most patents accepted in 2009 due to its emphasis on “practical” research.
Tohoku University Scholarship Description
- University or Organization: Tohoku University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Doctoral
- Award: JPY 180,000
- Number of Awards: NA
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic and International
- The award can be taken in Japan.
- Application Deadline: The deadline for priority quota and excluding priority quota is 30th September 2022 and 31st October 2022, respectively.
- Eligible Countries: Japanese and foreign national students are eligible to apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Students can apply for a PhD programme at the Tohoku University Advanced Graduate School.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants must have a high motivation/curiosity regarding research activities in their specialized fields.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The applicants are required to first apply for admission in their desired study programme. The applicants interested in applying for the fellowship must submit the supporting documents below to their graduate school.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Application form.
- Recommendation letter from your academic advisor.
- Any other documents requested by your graduate school.
- Admission Requirements: The applicants must meet the academic criteria of the PhD programme they wish to join at Tohoku.
- Language Requirement: The students must submit scores of the following English language proficiency tests:
- TOEFL IBT
- TOEFL PBT
The selected winners will be provided a stipend (to cover living expenses) of JPY 180,000/month and a research grant worth JPY 340,000/year by Tohoku University.