High-potential students are encouraged to apply for the international ACS Joseph Breen Memorial Fellowships offered by the ACS Green Chemistry Institute in the United States. The ACS programme is available for the 2022–2023 academic year.
The candidate must show that they are interested in studying or doing research in green chemistry. In order to be eligible for payment, the fellow must also offer an oral presentation or a poster on a topic related to his or her field of interest during the conference and submit a report to ACS GCI on the meeting.
They were established in 1876 and granted a charter by the U.S. Congress. They are one of the biggest scientific associations in the world, with over 151,000 members spread over 140 nations. ACS goal is to enhance chemistry as a whole and its practitioners for the benefit of the planet and its inhabitants.
Its mission is to convert chemistry into a force for good in society. They are an advocate for chemistry, its practitioners, and the worldwide membership as a non-profit scientific society with over 140 years of expertise.
- UOW Latest IPTA Scholarships, Australia 2023
- Georgian College Awards, Canada 2022-2023
- National Scholarship Program, Slovakia 2023
- PKU Yenching Academy Scholarships, China 2023
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships, UK 2023
- Global Korea Undergraduate Scholarships-2023
- EMJMD Reputed Scholarship 2023
- MEXT Titech University Scholarships, Japan 2023
- Government of Ireland Scholarships 2022-2023
- Russian Government Scholarships 2023
Why enrol in the ACS Green Chemistry Institute’s programmes?
The goal of ACS is to promote and facilitate the adoption of environmentally friendly and sustainable chemistry and engineering across the entire chemical industry and society at large. For the benefit of Earth, it is promoting chemistry as a whole and its practitioners.
More About ACS Green Chemistry Institute
The American Chemical Society (ACS) is a scientific organisation with roots in the United States that promotes chemistry-related research. The American Chemical Society (ACS), which was established in 1876 at New York University, now boasts more than 155,000 members across all academic levels and specialties in chemistry, chemical engineering, and allied subjects.
According to membership, it is one of the biggest scientific society in the world. The ACS has a legislative charter under Title 36 of the United States Code and is a 501 non-profit organisation. Its headquarters are in Washington, D.C., while a sizable portion of its workforce is based in Columbus, Ohio.
Through its peer-reviewed scientific journals, national conferences, and the Chemical Abstracts Service, the ACS is a top provider of scientific data. Its publishing branch publishes the weekly commercial newspaper Chemical & Engineering News as well as more than 60 scientific periodicals, including the esteemed Journal of the American Chemical Society.
The American Chemical Society (ACS) hosts smaller conferences focused on certain chemical topics or geographical areas in addition to its twice-yearly national meetings that encompass the whole subject of chemistry. The Chemical Abstracts Service, a global supplier of chemical information, is the ACS’s main revenue source.
Almost all of the top universities in the United States and abroad have student branches of the ACS. These student chapters mostly address volunteer opportunities, professional development, and professor and student research.
Additionally, the company produces textbooks, manages a number of national chemical competitions, offers grants for scholarly investigation, and funds several educational and outreach initiatives.
ACS Scholarship Description
- University or Organization: ACS Green Chemistry Institute
- Department: N.A.
- Course Level: Undergraduate, Graduate, or Postgraduate
- Award: $2,000
- Number of Awards: N/A
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: U.S. and international
- The award can be taken in the USA.
- Application Deadline: Applications must be received by October 9 at 5 p.m. EDT (GMT-4).
Eligibility For ACS Scholarship
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: The fellowships will be awarded in Green Chemistry offered by the university.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- A young international scholar is defined as an undergraduate student and above but below the level of Assistant Professor and within the first seven years of a professional career.
- Applicants residing both within the U.S. and internationally are eligible for this award.
- The travel must be to a green chemistry technical meeting, conference, or training program. Students should consider attending the Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference. Award funds cannot be used to participate in the ACS Summer School on Green Chemistry and Sustainable Energy.
- The applicant must demonstrate research or educational interest in green chemistry. Green chemistry is defined as the discovery and design of chemical products and processes that reduce or eliminate the use and generation of hazardous substances.
How to Apply For ACS Scholarship
- How to Apply: Applications must be a single PDF file send to [email protected] with “ACS Fellowship Application – [applicant’s last name]” in the subject line and no longer than six, 8½-by-11-inch pages, written in a font no smaller than 11 points, with margins of at least 1 inch
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents at the university:
- Cover page (no more than one page) including:-
- Applicant’s name, department, institution (or company), and field of study.
- Name of applicant’s faculty advisor (or supervisor) and contact information.
- Name, date, and location of the conference or meeting the applicant is requesting funding to attend.
- Estimated budget for travel expenses, up to $2,000 (including conference registration fees, travel, and accommodations) to participate in the meeting. The award will be mailed as a reimbursement check after the conference. Meals/food is not a reimbursable expense.
- Essay (no more than one page):- by the applicant concerning their interest in green chemistry, including any previous experience with the field, how they will benefit from participation in the selected conference, and why they should be chosen to receive the award.
- A curriculum vita or résumé no more than two pages in length, including:
- Applicant’s name, department, institution (or company), and faculty advisor (or supervisor).
- Applicant’s mailing address, telephone, and email.
- A few sentences on the applicant’s green chemistry teaching or research interests and career plans.
- Field of study, degrees, education experience, GPA or other measures of class standing, and work experience (if any).
- List of recent presentations and publications (if any).
- Letter of recommendation: – from the applicant’s faculty advisor, supervisor, or department chair (no more than two pages in length). The letter may be sent separately or included with the other application materials.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must hold a previous degree certificate with remarkable results.
- Language Requirement: If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence of your competence in written and spoken English.
Benefits For ACS Scholarship
The ACS Green Chemistry Institute will receive an award based on the estimated cost of travel, accommodation, and fees associated with the event, up to $2,000. If two Breen Fellowships are given in any year, one of the awards will be given to an undergraduate student and the other to a graduate or postgraduate student.